Something broke :-( Re: fwcontrol update

Sean Bruno sbruno at miralink.com
Fri Aug 22 02:12:41 UTC 2008

Dieter wrote:
>> Can you run a live linux distro(unbuntu or knoppix) and see if linux can
>> "reset"
>> your NEC f/w controller?
>>

> Grumble...  If I get penguinix to boot will you look at

> These two are more problematic than the NEC.

Cool.  It's either that or I consider buying you a new camera?  :)
>> Otherwise, I will be going down a very long and tedious path to try and
>> discover what has
>> broken.  This will take me a long time.
>>

> Before you do that...
>
> 	What path are you planning on going down?
> 	We don't know what broke it: fwcontrol, camera in
> 	camera mode, or something else we haven't thought of.
>
> 	Seems to me that the solution is to look at the
> 	datasheet and the device driver and figure out what
> 	isn't getting initialized.  So we need to find the
> 	datasheet for the NEC.

My current understanding of the firewire stack and fwohci is not
very good.  I've fixed a few things in my tree(mainly in sbp_targ),
but it will take some time for me to fully understand what's going on.

We can either get the data sheet off of the NEC or look at what the linux
code is doing and attempt a patch to emulate that behavior.

--
Sean Bruno
MiraLink Corporation
MSN: sbruno at miralink.com