Firewire resets/performance problems

Hidetoshi Shimokawa simokawa at sat.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Fri Jun 27 10:38:35 PDT 2003

At Fri, 27 Jun 2003 12:03:17 +0100,
Brian Candler wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 27, 2003 at 11:18:41AM +0100, Brian Candler wrote:
> > (1) Data transfer is extremely slow. Using 'dd' to read from /dev/da0, I get
> > perhaps 10MB per minute; using 'dd' to write is maybe 3MB per minute max.
>
> Supplementary information:
>
> My system also has a SCSI card with a couple of CD-ROMs on it, so that's
> scbus0 and the firewire is scbus1.
>
> I just tried removing the SCSI card and the firewire is zooming along (8MB
> per second!)
>
> This may or may not be a red herring - perhaps it's just the fact that I did
> a reboot - but is it possible that something is wrongly assuming the device
> to be on scbus0 when it's on scbus1 ?
>
> Regards,
>
> Bran.

I thinks there is no difference between scbus0 and scbus1 at CAM
layer. I suspect you have problem in PCI bus and removing the SCSI card
hides the problem.

You can easily exchange scbus 0 and 1 without removing the card by
adding the following line into the kernel config file.

device        scbus0 at sbp0

/\ Hidetoshi Shimokawa
\/  simokawa at sat.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp
PGP public key: http://www.sat.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~simokawa/pgp.html