Firewire resets/performance problems

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Fri Jun 27 04:02:08 PDT 2003

On Fri, Jun 27, 2003 at 11:18:41AM +0100, Brian Candler wrote:
> (1) Data transfer is extremely slow. Using 'dd' to read from /dev/da0, I get
> perhaps 10MB per minute; using 'dd' to write is maybe 3MB per minute max.

Supplementary information:

My system also has a SCSI card with a couple of CD-ROMs on it, so that's
scbus0 and the firewire is scbus1.

I just tried removing the SCSI card and the firewire is zooming along (8MB
per second!)

This may or may not be a red herring - perhaps it's just the fact that I did
a reboot - but is it possible that something is wrongly assuming the device
to be on scbus0 when it's on scbus1 ?

Regards,

Bran.