FCP 20190401-ci_policy: CI policy

Li-Wen Hsu lwhsu at freebsd.org
Thu Aug 29 15:52:46 UTC 2019

I was really hesitated to send out the previous mail because I
understand this is a sensitive topic and some words might look scary.
My apologies if the proposal makes people uncomfortable.

Please calm down, this is just an idea, not call for vote or say it
will proceed as-is. We want to point out there is a thing may worth to
be discussed, and hope to collect the comments and suggestions, we
know the proposed way is not perfect, and that's why we need better
idea from more people.

I am really bad at writing, but some items I hope people can check:

- Yes we're doing good now, and we should keep it and let's try to do better.
- Please check the weekly CI report to see the build (and test)
statistics, we still have some rooms to be improved. Let's try to get
bugs fixed before users asking on -current or -stable. Of course we
cannot cover all parts of the system, but that means we can always do
more contributions.
- We have been running CI for few years, perhaps it's still too early,
but let's try to pay more attention to it. If there are things
imperfect, let's fix it. I cannot watch the results, do preliminary
analysis and call people to check, just by myself along, at least not
forever.  I hope we can have a more automatic and scalable way.
- There is no one want to "control" the contribution, instead, we hope
this could make collaboration more smoothly.  As there are more and
more contributors, we should have a way to keep head and stable
branches buildable and have less regressions as we can as possible,
then everyone can work together with more confidence.
- The "revert" part and the timeline looks scary, please think this is
the last and unwanted solution. The description is try to limit its
scope and encourage people do analysis, communication and fix first.
The words here absolutely should be improved.  Updating the committer
guide is really a good idea, and we probably should define what means
"unresponsive", like in ports we have maintainer timeout and even
maintainer reset.

Thanks the feedback from all of you. I think encouraging people to
discuss and keep the discussion record is one of the purposes to have
FCP process.

Best,
Li-Wen