Announcing the 'FreeBSD Community Process'

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jun 20 10:28:31 UTC 2017

On 2017/06/20 10:55, Roger Pau Monné wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 07:53:47AM +0100, FreeBSD Core Secretary wrote:
> [...]
>> https://github.com/freebsd/fcp/blob/master/fcp-0000.md
>>
>> This is a working document and subject to change.  We will be applying
>> the FCP process as far as possible to fcp-0000 itself: this message
>> counts as the formal announcement on the fcp at FreeBSD.org mailing list
>> placing fcp-0000 into 'feedback' status.  Your contributions are
>> welcome, by email to the fcp at FreeBSD.org mailing list, or by submitting
>> issues or pull requests, or by annotating the fcp-0000.md document text
>> through GitHub.
>
> Why is the master repository hosted on github?
>
> I think it's fine to have mirrors on github, but I don't fancy at all
> having the master repository hosted there. FreeBSD has AFAIK always
> hosted it's repositories on self managed infrastructure, and IMHO we
> should continue to do so.

Part of the reasons for starting out on GitHub is that it makes it very
easy for anyone get involved by creating Pull Requests (can be done
entirely through the GitHub web interface) and also to present the FCP
documents attractively rendered with very little up-front work.  That
doesn't mean that GitHub has to be the final answer.

Certainly we should have a mirror of this repo on Project controlled
hardware, in case GitHub disappears overnight.

However GitHub versus not-GitHub is precisely the sort of argument that
inspired the whole FCP process -- likely to descend into futile
dead-horse-flogging and bikeshed-painting.  Core would be delighted to
see one or more properly thought out proposals put up for discussion in
the form of FCPs for alternative ways of hosting the FCP process.

	Cheers,

	Matthew