Lousy timekeeping in VirtualBox 4.0.14

Adam Vande More amvandemore at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 16:04:49 UTC 2011

On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 2:11 PM, Larry Rosenman <ler at lerctr.org> wrote:

> I've set up VirtualBox 4.0.14 on my FreeBSD 10.0-CURRENT (r228498)
> box, and have a FreeBSD 10.0-CURRENT VM running underneath it.
>
> While the VM is running, it doesn't keep time worth a flip.
>
> This is even with the VirtualBox-Additions in it.
>
> 1) is this expected/known?
> 2) What can we do to fix it?
>
> What diagnostics do you need?
>
> I *CAN* provide ssh access to both the host and the guest.

 There is a bunch of tuning you can do with Virtualbox to try and alleviate
such issues:

http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch09.html#idp13756960

However no combination has worked for me.  The only stable config I've been
able to find is to setup NTP on host and guest and keep vboxservice
running.  Running vboxservice alone results in very erratic timekeeping and
the service core dumps every few days.  Running NTP alone results in the
difference going too high and out of NTP's allowable range.

--
Adam Vande More