VirtualBox: vboxnetflt related problems

David Naylor naylor.b.david at gmail.com
Sun Oct 18 20:30:09 UTC 2009

On Sunday, 18 October 2009 19:33:14 Fredrik Lindberg wrote:
> David Naylor wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Thanks for porting VirtualBox, it has proven most useful (no more slow
> > RDC).
> >
> > I've found some problems relating to VirtualBox's bridged networking:
> >
> > 1) loader doesn't pull in all the dependencies for vboxnetflt (kldload
> > does) [missing dependencies: ng_ether]
>
> I couldn't figure out how properly depend on ng_ether, a simple
> MODULE_DEPEND does not work.  I guess it's because ng_ether doesn't
> declare MODULE_VERSION.  ng_ether *should* be loaded by the
> explicit kern_kldload, does this not happen on your system?

I assume you mean kldload after the system boots.  Yes it does.

> > 2) even with the dependencies specified in loader.conf vboxnetflt fails
> > to initialise on boot [module_register_init: MOD_LOAD (ng_vboxnetflt,
> > 0xc0f44fd9, 0xc19bd6a0) error 22]
>
> There is a known issue where the vboxdrv module (and thus VirtualBox)
> sometimes fail to see that vboxnetflt is loaded - is this what you're
> seeing? or does vboxnetflt simply not load at all?

The module fails to register.  As per the message I quoted above:
module_register_init: MOD_LOAD (ng_vboxnetflt, 0xc0f44fd9, 0xc19bd6a0) error
22

This only happens if loader loads the module.  I've never had a problem the
kldload loading the module.

> vnoxnetflt should load fine even without ng_ether loaded.

The above error message occurs irrespective of ng_ether being loaded.

> > 3) bridging doesn't work when connecting to bridge0 or tap0:
> > # netstat -w1 -I tap0
> >             input         (tap0)           output
> >    packets  errs      bytes    packets  errs      bytes colls
> >          0     0          0          0     0          0     0
> >          0     0          0          0     2        151     0
> > This happen with and without giving tap0 an IP address.
>
> This is because vboxnetflt uses ng_ether and the interaction between
> ng_ether/bridge/tap/vboxnetflt doesn't work.

Good to know :-).  Is there anyway to communicate directly with the host using
a bridged connection?  This is not much of a concern for me since I need to
bounce my files through a server (to accommodate windows) but it might be a
concern for others.

David