VirtualBox: vboxnetflt related problems

Fredrik Lindberg fli at shapeshifter.se
Sun Oct 18 17:33:14 UTC 2009

David Naylor wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for porting VirtualBox, it has proven most useful (no more slow RDC).
>
> I've found some problems relating to VirtualBox's bridged networking:
>
> 1) loader doesn't pull in all the dependencies for vboxnetflt (kldload
> does) [missing dependencies: ng_ether]

I couldn't figure out how properly depend on ng_ether, a simple
MODULE_DEPEND does not work.  I guess it's because ng_ether doesn't
declare MODULE_VERSION.  ng_ether *should* be loaded by the
explicit kern_kldload, does this not happen on your system?

> 2) even with the dependencies specified in loader.conf vboxnetflt fails to
> initialise on boot [module_register_init: MOD_LOAD (ng_vboxnetflt, 0xc0f44fd9,
> 0xc19bd6a0) error 22]

There is a known issue where the vboxdrv module (and thus VirtualBox)
sometimes fail to see that vboxnetflt is loaded - is this what you're
seeing? or does vboxnetflt simply not load at all?

vnoxnetflt should load fine even without ng_ether loaded.

> 3) bridging doesn't work when connecting to bridge0 or tap0:
> # netstat -w1 -I tap0
>             input         (tap0)           output
>    packets  errs      bytes    packets  errs      bytes colls
>          0     0          0          0     0          0     0
>          0     0          0          0     2        151     0
> This happen with and without giving tap0 an IP address.

This is because vboxnetflt uses ng_ether and the interaction between
ng_ether/bridge/tap/vboxnetflt doesn't work.

Fredrik