Leslie Jensen leslie at eskk.nu
Tue Dec 22 22:02:52 UTC 2009

On 2009-12-22 22:32, Doug Barton wrote:
> Leslie Jensen wrote:
>>
>> On 2009-12-22 21:22, Doug Barton wrote:
>>> The appropriate way to do this is to add them to /boot/loader.conf,
>>> like this:
>>>
>>> vboxdrv_load="yes"
>>> vboxnetflt_load="yes"
>>> vboxnetadp_load="yes"
>>>
>>> You could also write a new-style rc.d script to do this fairly easily,
>>> see
>>> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/rc-scripts.html
>>>
>>> for more information. There are also existing ports that use rc.d to
>>> load kernel modules, although none of the names come to mind off hand.
>>>

>>> Doug
>>>
>> Thanks for your answer.
>>
>> I did test to load the modules as you suggest. They do load but
>> virtualbox produces an error when starting a virtual machine.
>
> If what you're saying is that you tried loading the modules in
> /boot/loader.conf and that produced an error, then you need to start a
> NEW thread on this list and describe what you did, and what the
> results are in detail. This method worked fine for me in 9-current, so
> if it's not working for you then we need to find out why.
>
>> I found information in the forums suggesting that one could load the
>> modules via a script i /etc/rc.d/. But with 8.0 that did not work.
>
> Do you understand why it didn't work? Do you understand that my
> suggestion is different than the one you received on the forum?
>
>> I've tried to load vboxdrv and vboxnetflt via loader.conf and then load
>> vboxnetadp manually before starting virtualbox. That also produces the
>> error when starting a VM.
>
> That sounds like a deeper issue to me that has nothing to do with HOW
> you load them. Once again, you need to start a NEW thread to try and
> diagnose the problem you're having.
>
>> For now I load the modules manually with a script that also starts
>> virtualbox.
>
> If you have an actual solution that works then you should include that
> information in the new thread you're going to create. :)
>

> Doug

It started with the tread below
http://forums.freebsd.org/showpost.php?p=45664&postcount=5

I asumed it was the accepted way to resolve this matter, therefore I
just asked for a way to automate it when the script in /etc/rc.d/ failed
on 8.0.

I'll start a new tread and describe what I've done.

/Les