Old Linux Quake II Mods

Ulrich Spoerlein uspoerlein at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 22:15:06 UTC 2007

Steve Crowder wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have been trying to resurrect some old Quake II Linux compiled mods on
> my FreeBSD 6.1 amd64 machine. Using the linux binary r1q2ded-old from:
> http://www.r1ch.net/stuff/r1q2/
>
> I have tried to run Lokis Minions CTF Linux gamei386.so from here:
> http://tastyspleen.net/quake/downloads/mods/lokis_minion/

Ah, good old LMCTF,

I concated the developers some years ago and the apparently lost their
source code, so a FreeBSD native version is not going to appear.

You would need some old, but not too ancient, linux binary for Quake2.
The original linux client by id software is at least unable to open the
sound device on FreeBSD due to a "wrong" order of OSS-ioctl().

Perhaps you can get some old binary versions of Quake2Forge and try your
luck with these.

On the other hand, any modification that retained ABI compatibility with
the original Q2 client should work.

I think, we both now understand, why John Carmack used a kind of VM for
the Q3 modifications :)

Ulrich Spoerlein
--
Für alle, die sich noch eigene Gedanken machen:
http://www.NachDenkSeiten.de