emulators/linux-wine: Help in porting to FreeBSD

Divacky Roman xdivac02 at stud.fit.vutbr.cz
Sat Oct 14 02:39:20 PDT 2006

On Sat, Oct 14, 2006 at 12:55:17AM -0500, Scot Hetzel wrote:
> I'm trying to create a port for emulators/linux-wine, so that we can
> at least have wine running on FreeBSD/amd64 using the linuxator.  This
> would then silence users who want wine (amd64/104311) to run under
> FreeBSD/amd64.
>
> Currently, I am having a problem running linux-wine.  When it is run
> as either root or as a user I get the following error:
>
> $ /compat/linux/usr/bin/wine
> wine: failed to initialize: /usr/lib/wine/ntdll.dll.so: failed to map
> segment from shared object: Cannot allocate memory

iirc we have some problems with wine with regards to mapping memory.
I dont know details but this is not trivial to solve - search the
mailing lists for more info

> Any idea as to how to solve this problem?
>
> Would anyone be willing to test this port under FreeBSD/i386 and see
> if your getting the same error?
>
> I'm also seeing:in /var/log/messages:
>
> Oct 14 00:15:48 hp010 kernel: linux: pid 1351 (wine-preloader):
> syscall prctl not implemented

we in fact dont implement this syscall. I just looked at what it does
and it doesnt look it its hard to implement... I might do it when time
permits (maybe today, maybe next year :) )

are you willing to test patches?

roman