RCP Delta Pack files for FreeBSD

Cyrus Rahman crahman at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 08:23:36 UTC 2009

> Hi,
> when I had complaints about MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME I did this:
>
> #
> # FreeBSD-specific startup script for Eclipse Platform
> #
> # See: http://www.eclipse.org
> #
> # $FreeBSD: ports/java/eclipse/files/eclipse.in,v 1.12 2009/02/15
> 03:19:41 glewis Exp $
> #
> DEFAULT_JAVA_HOME=/usr/local
> ECLIPSE_HOME=/usr/local/eclipse
> DEFAULT_JAVA_CMD=java
> MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME=/usr/local/lib/xulrunner
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME
> export MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME LD_LIBRARY_PATH
>
> because firefox3 won't work. You need to install xulrunner from ports.
> Hope this helps.

Thanks for the suggestion, it helped me figure out what was happening.

I had a project named 'appname'; it was exported into ~/appname.
Because no launcher executable was placed into the exported directory
~/appname/eclipse by the export wizard, I copied
/usr/local/eclipse/eclipse there.  It started the application, but the
application did not work correctly, even though it did work when
launched from eclipse itself.

As it happens, the problem was that there was a file
~/appname/eclipse/appname.ini which is needed to set the java memory
requirements.  This file is ignored if the application is launched
from a file named 'eclipse'.  However, if I instead did:

cp /usr/local/eclipse/eclipse ~/appname/eclipse/appname

and started the application using that launcher, appname.ini was used
and everything worked ok.

I did try using xulrunner instead of firefox, but in fact for me both
firefox and firefox3 also worked correctly.   My application simply
wanted a copy of libwidget_gtk2.so to link against; I don't know if
exported applications would always work with firefox but I did not, in
the end, need xulrunner.

So I can successfully start my application now using:

MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME=/usr/local/lib/firefox $HOME/appname/eclipse/appname

*****
It would be a lot easier to figure out and more generally useful if
there were a way of making a delta pack that contained support for
FreeBSD.