Broadcom BCM5701KHB

Will McCutcheon freebsd2 at toyingwithfate.com
Wed Nov 14 01:30:35 PST 2007

I'm sure I'm doing something embarrassingly wrong, here, but I can't
for the life of me figure it out.  I wanted to add a gigabit NIC to my
aging Pentium III server to augment its 3Com 3C905C NIC already in
place.  I found an old Apple PCI gigabit ethernet card and installed
it, but it doesn't seem to pair up with a driver.  Visual inspection
of the card reveals a Broadcom BCM5701KHB chip, and its relevant
output from pciconf -n is:

none2 at pci0:15:0:	class=0x020000 card=0x0008106b chip=0x1645106b
rev=0x15 hdr=0x00
     vendor   = 'Apple Computer Inc.'
     device   = 'Tigon3 Gigabit Ethernet NIC (BCM5701)'
     class    = network
     subclass = ethernet

Research seemed to indicate this card would work with the bge driver,
but un-commenting that driver in my kernel config and rebuilding the
kernel doesn't seem to get the card recognized.  It shows up in my
dmesg -a as:

pci0: <network, ethernet> at device 15.0 (no driver attached)

I've searched through all the archives and Googled for hours, but to
no avail.  Anyone have any idea how I can get this NIC recognized so
that I can configure it?  Thanks for your help, and sorry to be a
bother!