Regarding AsciiDoctor and long lines

Daniel Ebdrup Jensen debdrup at FreeBSD.org
Tue Feb 16 14:16:21 UTC 2021

On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 01:01:45PM +0000, Ceri Davies wrote:
>On Tue, 16 Feb 2021 at 07:48, Daniel Ebdrup Jensen <debdrup at freebsd.org>
>wrote:

>> >Why it would be a problem?
>> >
>> >--
>> >Marc
>>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> Can we make a compromise where real paragraphs, ie. the only things
>> which don't seem to need much in the way of AsciiDoctor markup, are kept
>> at 72 columns, and headings, lists, images, include macros, variables
>> and custom macros are allowed to go beyond the 72 columns?
>> If they have to, there's always word-smithing options for trying to be
>> as concise as possible (without, of course, making things too obtuse -
>> it's a tough balance, admittedly?
>>
>> That seemed to work for DocBook, so is there a reason it won't work
>> here?
>>

>  For HTML output it doesn't look like it's an issue; although whitespace
>is preserved in the output, it's luckily irrelevant to HTML output.
>
>For other output formats such as PDF or mdoc then I can see that it is
>problematic to hard wrap text but that suggests that there's a tooling
>issue; Marc's need to be able to actually see what has changed is really
>important.
>
>Butting out for another 9 years now :D
>
>Ceri

I don't see how mdoc would be impacted, since that lives in the src
repo.

As for pdf files, I couldn't tell you the last time I used the handbook
in a pdf format, so I had to generate it by grabbing asciidoctor-pdf
and running it on doc/documentation/content/en/books/handbook/book.adoc -
and it produced [1].

Aside from things which I think can be addressed separately, the change
I made in order to test the theories that pdf should work with extra
linebreaks inserted at 72 columns, is on page 21, on the paragraph
"The hardware requirements to install FreeBSD vary by.."

To me, this looks exactly like how I would expect it to look.
So I think we'll be fine with this change, at least for newlines as it
relates to paragraphs.

Yours,
Daniel Ebdrup Jensen

[1]: https://people.freebsd.org/~debdrup/book.pdf