Regarding AsciiDoctor and long lines

Ceri Davies ceri at submonkey.net
Tue Feb 16 13:02:26 UTC 2021

On Tue, 16 Feb 2021 at 07:48, Daniel Ebdrup Jensen <debdrup at freebsd.org>
wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 07:05:09PM +0100, Marc Fonvieille wrote:
> >Le 12.02.2021 18:24, Sergio Carlavilla a écrit :
> >>
> >> I think the doceng team should pronounce about this.
> >>
> >> IMHO, use the 72 characters per line would be a problem in the future.
> >>

> >Why it would be a problem?
> >
> >--
> >Marc
>
> Hi folks,
>
> Can we make a compromise where real paragraphs, ie. the only things
> which don't seem to need much in the way of AsciiDoctor markup, are kept
> at 72 columns, and headings, lists, images, include macros, variables
> and custom macros are allowed to go beyond the 72 columns?
> If they have to, there's always word-smithing options for trying to be
> as concise as possible (without, of course, making things too obtuse -
> it's a tough balance, admittedly?
>
> That seemed to work for DocBook, so is there a reason it won't work
> here?

  For HTML output it doesn't look like it's an issue; although whitespace
is preserved in the output, it's luckily irrelevant to HTML output.

For other output formats such as PDF or mdoc then I can see that it is
problematic to hard wrap text but that suggests that there's a tooling
issue; Marc's need to be able to actually see what has changed is really
important.

Butting out for another 9 years now :D

Ceri