manpages query (net/openntpd)

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk at mit.edu
Fri May 15 04:35:35 UTC 2020

On Sun, May 10, 2020 at 09:32:03PM +0100, Frank Shute wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I installed net/openntpd some time ago. I think I read about it's usage
> possibly on OpenBSD's site. Installed it & did the necessary in rc.conf
>
> The other day I wanted to have a look at the local docs for it as I felt the
> need to twiddle with its start up args. As always, I have a look to see what
> docs it comes with:
>
> $ pkg info -l openntpd
>
> openntpd-6.2p3_2,2:
> 	/usr/local/etc/ntpd.conf.sample
> 	/usr/local/etc/periodic/daily/480.status-openntpd
> 	/usr/local/etc/rc.d/openntpd
> 	/usr/local/man/man5/ntpd.conf.5.gz
> 	/usr/local/man/man8/ntpctl.8.gz
> 	/usr/local/man/man8/ntpd.8.gz
> 	/usr/local/sbin/ntpctl
> 	/usr/local/sbin/ntpd
> 	/usr/local/share/licenses/openntpd-6.2p3_2,2/ISCL
> 	/usr/local/share/licenses/openntpd-6.2p3_2,2/LICENSE
> 	/usr/local/share/licenses/openntpd-6.2p3_2,2/catalog.mk
>
> Ok.
>
> $ man ntpd
>
> Problems. As in front of it in $MANPATH is:
>
> /usr/share/man/man8/ntpd.8.gz
>
> and all the other manpages for ntpd from base.
>
> I happened to realise what was happening, so I could have a look at man(1)
> and:
>
> $ man -M /usr/local/man: ntpd
>
> so as to display the port manpage rather than the one installed by base.
>
> This seems to be a POLA violation and I was wondering how, if at all, it
> should be handled. A pkg message or rename the binaries or something else?

I think a proper solution would be pkgbase, where installing the ntpd from
ports could cause the one from base to be removed.  Until then, I suppose
that MANPATH and PATH should stay in sync, but it may be worth adding a
note to the pkg-message.  I believe it would be okay to create a bugzilla
entry (https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/enter_bug.cgi) against the port
requesting this enhancement.

Thanks for raising the question,

Ben