Improving translation workflow for FreeBSD Documentation with Zanata

Edson Brandi ebrandi at freebsd.org
Fri May 17 01:52:14 UTC 2019

Hi Guys,

This afternoon we had a working group here in Ottawa where I, dbaio
and ygy presented the results that we have obtained over the last few
months using Zanata as a working tool for translating the official
FreeBSD documentation.

The adoption of a web tool has helped us to achieve greater community
engagement by making the translation process simple and easy for
casual translators, since the only requirement to contribute to the
translation effort was to have access to a web browser, and to have a
few free minutes in the day or week to donate.

In this last months we managed to get 35 articles and 5 books
translated to pt_BR, including The FreeBSD Handbook (it was committed
today morning to our SVN), until now we have received contributions
from more than 40 volunteers, and new contributions still arriving for
the remaining books :)

The group of 2 volunteers that are working to translate the
documentation to es_ES are using the same tools and workflow, and in
the last 5 months of work, they have translated 18 articles.

I have uploaded the presentation that we used in the WG to our wiki,
and i invite you all to take a look:

https://wiki.freebsd.org/DevSummit/201905/Zanata?action=AttachFile&do=view&target=Improving+translation+workflow+for+FreeBSD+Documentation+with+Zanata.pdf

If someone is interested in replicating the workflow that we are using
to start translating the documentation into some new language, we are
willing to talk and help in whatever it takes to have it done.

We have idle capacity on the server that we are using to host Zanata,
and it will be a pleasure to create a project for you to test the
tool, and the proposed workflow.

For those who want to follow our steps, the best advice that we can
give is: start with the smallest documents.

It will be simpler and faster to see the results, and seeing the
concrete result of your translation effort is essential in the
beginning of this long journey so that you stay motivated and engaged
;)

Thks and sorry for the text wall :|

[  ]'s Brandi
--
Edson Brandi
ebrandi at FreeBSD.org

OpenPGP Key: 0x209E9B54FFD3035B
443B 5363 564F 06C3 EA54  9482 209E 9B54 FFD3 035B