The Italian translation has not been updated since 2008

Guido Falsi madpilot at FreeBSD.org
Fri Aug 10 17:51:13 UTC 2018

On 8/10/18 5:22 PM, Guangyuan Yang wrote:
> Guido Falsi <madpilot at freebsd.org> 于2018年8月10日周五 上午4:38写道:
>>
>> Looks like we will also need some central repository for partial work to
>> be shared for collaboration and review. Would you agree that forking
>> freebsd-doc repo on github and creating a branch from a random revision
>> (to get a stable target to start with) would be the easiest way to get
>> started without needing further infrastructure?
>>
>> As far as I have understood documentation the suggested way to start
>> translating is to generate the po file and translate with poedit, am I
>> correct?
>>

> As far as I know, books and articles are being transformed to use PO,
> while htdocs still use xml for translation. So if you only wish to
> start with PO files, I think just generate the files and translate
> with poedit is fine (or even better, work with some online platforms).
>
> Just to add my two cents here. Here's some of my previous effort for
> zh_CN translation:
>
> A repo mainly for keeping track of po files and work with volunteers
> using issues / PR (outdated):
> https://github.com/yzgyyang/freebsd-doc-cn
>
> A Jenkins CI that builds from my fork of freebsd-doc and deploy for preview:
> https://jenkins.ygy.io
> https://charlieyang.me/freebsd-doc-web-deploy/
>
> A monitoring tool for xml translations (in beta):
> https://docmon.ygy.io
>
> Let me know if you need help using any of these personal services above :)
>
> Books and articles take huge amount of time and attention to details.
> I cannot achieve this myself, and in my previous experience, we
> definitely need some web service setting up for casual translators
> (I've tried Zanata and Pootle - more investigation is needed). Or
> Github workflow should work just fine, since po files are just plain
> text and can be reviewed and merged.

Thanks for your suggestions! Since at the start the number of people
involved will be small I think we could start "lean" with just a simple
github workflow, I'll need to make some tests for the merge
functionality, it needs to be easy to merge things.

I do have a personal VM where I can setup a jail with automation tools,
but I think that would be necessary with a bigger number of
contributors, if that ever happens!

If I need it I'll ask you for help with jenkins, since I've never used that.

--
Guido Falsi <madpilot at FreeBSD.org>