The Italian translation has not been updated since 2008

Guangyuan Yang ygy at freebsd.org
Fri Aug 10 15:46:18 UTC 2018

Guido Falsi <madpilot at freebsd.org> 于2018年8月10日周五 上午4:38写道:

> Looks like we will also need some central repository for partial work to
> be shared for collaboration and review. Would you agree that forking
> freebsd-doc repo on github and creating a branch from a random revision
> (to get a stable target to start with) would be the easiest way to get
> started without needing further infrastructure?
>
> As far as I have understood documentation the suggested way to start
> translating is to generate the po file and translate with poedit, am I
> correct?

As far as I know, books and articles are being transformed to use PO,
while htdocs still use xml for translation. So if you only wish to
start with PO files, I think just generate the files and translate
with poedit is fine (or even better, work with some online platforms).

Just to add my two cents here. Here's some of my previous effort for
zh_CN translation:

A repo mainly for keeping track of po files and work with volunteers
using issues / PR (outdated):
https://github.com/yzgyyang/freebsd-doc-cn

A Jenkins CI that builds from my fork of freebsd-doc and deploy for preview:
https://jenkins.ygy.io
https://charlieyang.me/freebsd-doc-web-deploy/

A monitoring tool for xml translations (in beta):
https://docmon.ygy.io

Let me know if you need help using any of these personal services above :)

Books and articles take huge amount of time and attention to details.
I cannot achieve this myself, and in my previous experience, we
definitely need some web service setting up for casual translators
(I've tried Zanata and Pootle - more investigation is needed). Or
Github workflow should work just fine, since po files are just plain
text and can be reviewed and merged.

Cheers,
ygy