Mellanox as an HW vendor in FreeBSD 9.x (and above) HW notes

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk at mit.edu
Sun Jan 15 21:47:21 UTC 2017

On Sun, Jan 15, 2017 at 03:38:06PM +0000, Meny Yossefi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My name is Meny and I'm leading Mellanox's FreeBSD team these days, developing Ethernet and InfiniBand drivers for our ConnectX NICs.
>
> We came across the FreeBSD 11.0 hardware notes and found that we were not included in the list although we have an Ethernet and InfiniBand driver since FreeBSD 9.1.
>
> https://www.freebsd.org/releases/11.0R/relnotes.html
>

> Can you please let me know what is the procedure for adding us as a vendor?

As I understand it, the hardware notes are generated automatically via
certain portions of certain manual pages.

It looks like that takes the form of &hwlist.<drivername>; entities in
(e.g.) ^/base/head/release/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/hardware/article.xml, with
the hwlist entities being generated by
^/base/head/release/doc/share/misc/man2hwnotes.pl.  I don't know offhand
whether mlx5en.4 is formatted properly for that script, but it seems that
at a minimum, the &hwlist.mlx5en; entity needs to be added to the release
notes sources.

I've cc'd re at FreeBSD.org, since they have change control over the release
notes and would need to make or approve such a change.

-Ben