FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE upgrading comments

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk at mit.edu
Tue Jan 10 00:15:45 UTC 2017

On Mon, Jan 09, 2017 at 08:13:06AM -0500, Eric Rucker wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've noticed that I was unable to perform an upgrade directly to
> FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE from 9.3-RELEASE by following the directions in
> this document: https://www.freebsd.org/releases/11.0R/installation.html
>
> Upon attempting to run freebsd-update upgrade -R 11.0-RELEASE, I
> received the error "The update metadata is correctly signed, but
> failed an integrity check." I received no such error going to
> 10.3-RELEASE instead.
>
> Is this a bug, or a documentation error?

I am more inclined to suspect documentation error, in that IIRC there
was an errata notice relating to how integrity checks were done on updates,
which was needed in order to update past a version boundary in that range.

Are you at the latest 9.3 patchlevel already?  If not, it's probably best
to take all available updates within 9.3 before attempting the major version
upgrade.  (That is, please show the `uname -a` output from the system
in question.)

-Ben