further documentation request

Allan Jude allanjude at freebsd.org
Sun Jan 24 17:46:20 UTC 2016

On 2016-01-24 12:36, ty armour wrote:
> I have read a bit of the freebsd handbook
> I do use bsd, although It does not work on my laptop (asus x750J), I get a
> screen not found error if I remember correctly, and I am wondering the
> following.
>
> If you could provide tutorials on writing device drivers such as an
> nvidia740M graphics card.

There already is a driver for the nVidia 740M, directly from nVidia, you
just have to install it. Just run: pkg install nvidia-driver

And follow the on-screen instructions.

> I am also looking for general guides on compiling linux software under BSD,
> writing custom bootloaders and gui frameworks, as well as writing some
> custom server side frameworks and networking frameworks as well as
> tutorials for writing some custom audio frameworks.
>
> you could even try at least to get guitarix, rakarrack,vmpk, ardour,lmms,
> hydrogen, blender, etcetera to run under bsd, I think it can be done.
>
> If your feeling really ambitious you might try to get synaptic to run under
> bsd.
>

> My goal is to build my own PC(like my own microchips), so any and all
> relevant information that I havent found yet, I am looking for!
>
> Tutorials could even include writing custom kernels.
>
> As well I am looking for tutorials on data compression and execution. I
> have a theory for storing data in memory in small packets, but I still need
> some help in implementing my designs.
>
> So yeah get creative with the tutorials I guess, and have fun. These
> tutorials would literally help the entire computing world.

These things are beyond the scope of the FreeBSD Handbook, which is
about actually using FreeBSD. There are some additional 'books' and
'articles' provided here:

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/

For example, you mentioned being interested in just boot loaders. The
current boot model and the code for it are explained in the FreeBSD
Architecture Handbook:
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/arch-handbook/