Catching up with SVN

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Fri Jan 22 06:09:31 UTC 2016

On Thu, 21 Jan 2016, Federico Caminiti wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm currently making a spanish translation of the FAQ. Since it's a rather
> large document its taking a lot of time, though I hope to have it completed
> soon-ish (more or less next week  if I maintain my current pace). The
> problem is that, in the meantime, a couple of changes were made to the
> handbook and I have to catch up with to those changes. In the past I ve
> dealt with this by recreating the .PO file and just copy/pasting the
> translated sentences. This worked because the documents in question were as
> not huge as the FAQ, but doing this approach now seems kind of impractical.
>
> Is there any automated method to update the .PO file while keeping the
> sentences I've translated intact?

The PO system is meant to do that automatically.  When you use 'make po'
and a PO file already exists, the new changes are merged with the
existing PO file.  A PO editor will normally show the new strings to be
translated at the top.

If that is not working, please describe the process you use so we can
try to debug it.

Thanks!