Spanish Translation of the FAQ

Mon Feb 1 08:36:51 UTC 2016

Hello,

> 2) Some phrases feature wordplays that are impossible to translate into
> spanish. I translated them anyway, but the result can be confusing IMHO.
> Examples are:
>
> - How cool is FreeBSD? -> Translated as "¿Que tan frío es FreeBSD?" (In
> spanish we don't have a distinction between cool as in "not warm" and cool
> as in "awesome").

I have no idea of spanish. But for translations the most important part
is the translation of the meaning not the word itself.

Instead of "cool" try the translation of "awesome", "excellent" or just
"good". I would even consider "fantastic", because in german it refers
to something exceptional good (another phrase) and something not real.
Not sure what is more common in english or spanish.

If you are still in doubt, if your translation is correct, do a short
test. Grep another spanish-speaking person in the near (no need for them
to speak english) and let them read your translation. Afterwards (!) ask
them what they understand. If they get it right, your translation is a
good basic to start :)

Hope this helps.

Greetings,
Torsten