Suggestion about a correction in Porter' HandBook, Chapter 10

Mathieu Arnold mat at FreeBSD.org
Thu Oct 30 16:30:37 UTC 2014

+--On 30 octobre 2014 12:50:18 +0100 Enrico Maria Crisostomo
<enrico.m.crisostomo at gmail.com> wrote:
| Hi all,
|
| This morning I was notified by Matthew Seaman about a problem in a port I
| maintain and finally we discovered that `svn diff` does **not** output
| information about files that have "history scheduled with commit": that
| is, files which seem to be new files, but in reality are not.  The
| typical case is files "added" as a result of a `svn mv` operation.  This
| behaviour led to the problem that affected the port.
|
| The Porter's Handbook implicitly implies that `svn diff` is equivalent to
| `diff -ruN` but in fact it is not: using `svn diff` may lead to the
| aforementioned problem.  svn 1.7 added the `--show-copies-as-adds` option
| to the `svn diff` command which forces the expected behaviour.
| Therefore, I suggest Chapter 10, Section 1, "Using Subversion to Make
| Patches" to be amended in order to describe this behaviour.

Unless mistaken, the PHB says that if you move files around, you *must* say
so in the PR you open, so that the developper can replicate the commands
before applying the patch.

Because if you add --show-copies-as-adds, the diff will be in such a way
that files will get created without its ancestry taken into account, which
we *do not* want.

The good thing about Subversion is that it has a way to know that foo has
been copied to bar without having to fiddle around in the repository doing
repo-copies like we used to do with CVS...

If the PHB is not clear about that (or I just dreamt I read/wrote that bit)
do tell me, I'll fix it :-)

Regards,

--
Mathieu Arnold