Suggestion about a correction in Porter' HandBook, Chapter 10

Enrico Maria Crisostomo enrico.m.crisostomo at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 11:50:45 UTC 2014

Hi all,

This morning I was notified by Matthew Seaman about a problem in a port I maintain and finally we discovered that `svn diff` does **not** output information about files that have "history scheduled with commit": that is, files which seem to be new files, but in reality are not.  The typical case is files "added" as a result of a `svn mv` operation.  This behaviour led to the problem that affected the port.

The Porter's Handbook implicitly implies that `svn diff` is equivalent to `diff -ruN` but in fact it is not: using `svn diff` may lead to the aforementioned problem.  svn 1.7 added the `--show-copies-as-adds` option to the `svn diff` command which forces the expected behaviour.  Therefore, I suggest Chapter 10, Section 1, "Using Subversion to Make Patches" to be amended in order to describe this behaviour.

Regards,
--
Enrico