I want to contribute the translation of the FreeBSD Handbook to Traditional Chinese

Li-Wen Hsu lwhsu at FreeBSD.org
Wed May 28 14:55:11 UTC 2014

Hi,

Thanks for contacting about this.  I also want to revive the
Traditional Chinese translation project recently.

On Mon, May 26, 2014 at 5:02 PM, RayCherng Yu <raycherng at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I am the FreeBSD newbie.I never used FreeBSD before. I just install the
> FreeBSD 10.0. The FreeBSD Handbook is really helpful to the installation
> and setup the system. But the Traditional Chinese translation is outdated.
> So all my information is from the FreeBSD Handbook English version. I think
> I could translate the new version of Handbook to Traditional Chinese. An
> uptodate information will help people willing to install and use FreeBSD.

Although I am not a doc committer and did not work on documents.  I
think they must be happy to know the handbook is helpful and they will
want to hear more about suggestions from you.

> But I found some problems when I search the way to contribute:
>
> First, I cannot contact the Traditional Chinese translation project leader
> via Email(chinsan at FreeBSD.org) or Website(
> https://opensvn.csie.org/traccgi/freebsddoc/,it is dead). It seems no one
> maintains this project.How can I do?

Posting a mail on this list is the best way to start. :)

chinsan is busy for a while, and I started a new (well, it's also
terribly out of dated) project on github:

    https://github.com/lwhsu/freebsddoc/wiki

It had not been published, since it's still in alpha stage, and things
went worse when I started my new job.  Two year passed by, and many
things have changed.  The biggest two are the repository has been
migrated to SVN and format has been changed to DocBook 5.0 .  There
are not much can be taken from my project, maybe some translated but
not yet been committed documents are still useful.  I think we can
start from merging these documents to zh_TW subdir and start to figure
out a process to identify what need to be translated, translate and
merge back to the main doc repository.  Perhaps we can start a new
group on github and fork https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-doc , then
put the new work that.  I'll try to grab doc people to review and make
them be committed.

> Second, I use the UTF-8 as the encoding of my system.I found there is no
> zh_TW.UTF-8 in Handbook directory.Can I start a new encoding of translation
> project? (Like zh_CN, there are three directory of zh_CN, including
> zh_CN.UTF-8). Maybe last time someone modify the zh_TW document is long
> long time ago. The UTF-8 is not so popular.

chinsan also wanted to do that many years ago, and he thought it might
be better when more documents are translated.  However I think we can
convert what we already have NOW because it's 21 century and nobody
should use Big5 anymore.

> Third, the document structure(table of contents) of the current Traditional
> Chinese translation edition is not the same as the current uptodate English
> edition.How to update /modify this structure?

Update chapters.ent ?

> If I have more time to contribute, I will be very glad to translate the
> FreeBSD website(http://www.freebsd.org/) to traditional Chinese to promote
> FreeBSD to people in Taiwan or HongKong. How could I do to ?

Just start to translate documents under
https://svnweb.freebsd.org/doc/head/en_US.ISO8859-1/htdocs/ and put to
zh_TW.UTF-8 .  We can see what still need to be done afterward.

Thanks,
Li-Wen

--
Li-Wen Hsu