I want to contribute the translation of the FreeBSD Handbook to Traditional Chinese

RayCherng Yu raycherng at gmail.com
Mon May 26 09:02:30 UTC 2014

Hi All

I am the FreeBSD newbie.I never used FreeBSD before. I just install the
FreeBSD 10.0. The FreeBSD Handbook is really helpful to the installation
and setup the system. But the Traditional Chinese translation is outdated.
So all my information is from the FreeBSD Handbook English version. I think
I could translate the new version of Handbook to Traditional Chinese. An
uptodate information will help people willing to install and use FreeBSD.

But I found some problems when I search the way to contribute:

First, I cannot contact the Traditional Chinese translation project leader
via Email(chinsan at FreeBSD.org) or Website(
https://opensvn.csie.org/traccgi/freebsddoc/,it is dead). It seems no one
maintains this project.How can I do?

Second, I use the UTF-8 as the encoding of my system.I found there is no
zh_TW.UTF-8 in Handbook directory.Can I start a new encoding of translation
project? (Like zh_CN, there are three directory of zh_CN, including
zh_CN.UTF-8). Maybe last time someone modify the zh_TW document is long
long time ago. The UTF-8 is not so popular.

Third, the document structure(table of contents) of the current Traditional
Chinese translation edition is not the same as the current uptodate English
edition.How to update /modify this structure?

If I have more time to contribute, I will be very glad to translate the
FreeBSD website(http://www.freebsd.org/) to traditional Chinese to promote
FreeBSD to people in Taiwan or HongKong. How could I do to ?

Thanks and Best Regards

RayCherng

--
"Life is like a snowball. The important thing is finding wet snow and a
really long hill."

"Price is what you pay. Value is what you get."

"The first rule of Investing is don't lose money; the second rule is don't
forget rule #1..."

"Wall Street is the only place that people ride to work in a Rolls-Royce to
get advice from those who take the subway..."

— Warren Buffett.