docs/162354: Improve wording in rc.conf(5) regarding network-interfaces.

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Tue Sep 3 19:08:34 UTC 2013

On Monday, November 07, 2011 12:09:36 pm moritz at wzff.de wrote:

> >Number:         162354
> >Category:       docs
> >Synopsis:       Improve wording in rc.conf(5) regarding network-interfaces.
> >Confidential:   no
> >Severity:       non-critical
> 	According to rc.conf(5), ifconfig_<interface>_alias<n> is deprecated,
> 	because it fails if <n> is not continuously increasing (i.e. if a number
is
> 	missing, the rc-scripts abort the search for bigger values of <n>.)
> 	It isn't specified what should be used instead; I guessed
> 	ipv4_addrs_<interface>, but Marco Steinbach brought
> 	/etc/start_if.<interface> to my attention, which is mentioned in the same
> 	paragraph. This is confusing. Could someone please clarify which one of
> 	these is supposed to be used in place of the deprecated
seems
> 	not to have an equivalent ipv6_* variable?

I don't think ifconfig_IF_aliasN is depreated, though you can now use
ifconfig_IF_aliases as an alternate.  Also, both ifconfig_IF_aliases
and ifconfig_IF_aliasN handle both IPv4 and IPv6.  See this commit for more
details:

http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=revision&revision=252015

--
John Baldwin