Handbook obsolescence scan: "The vinum Volume Manager"

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk at MIT.EDU
Wed Jun 26 02:14:15 UTC 2013

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013, Warren Block wrote:

> Next on the list of potentially outdated things in the Handbook: "The vinum
> Volume Manager", a whole chapter on vinum.  Actually, it is really now about
> gvinum.
>
> Are there any situations where new users should be advised to use gvinum
> rather than ZFS or gconcat/gstripe/gmirror?
>
> What reasons are there for this chapter to remain in the Handbook given the
> newer, simpler alternatives?
>
> If the information should remain, why should it be separate from the GEOM
> chapter?

Hmm, I seem to recall there being desire to keep the documentation around
the last time this question came up, but don't remember why.  Let's go
rooting around in the archives...

It seems that as of 2009, gvinum was still useful enough that I was happy
to have documentation fixes for it
(http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-doc/2009-May/015913.html),
though just two weeks later this thread
(http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2009-May/028730.html)
sees to indicate that it was dying already.  The documentation is always
behind on the times...

I thought there was an attempt to remove gvinum or the documentation
thereof since then, but cannot find any record of it.  That means we don't
get to re-analyze the arguments presented then, and can just do it.

-Ben