Handbook obsolescence scan: "The vinum Volume Manager"

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Tue Jun 25 22:31:23 UTC 2013

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013, Frank Leonhardt wrote:

> Couldn't agree more! In fact the whole disk mirroring thing still
> confuses me, as there are too many options and no guide for choosing
> between them. As far as I understand it, gmirror is the way to go in
> most cases because you end up with two identical drives, either of
> which can be salvaged from the wreckage after a crash, stuck in to
> another PC and booted. ZFS is the solution if you want to spread lots
> of data across lots of drives.

ZFS can do mirrors, too, and almost everything else.  Its weakness now
is that it is relatively memory hungry.  So I would advise this:

gmirror(8) for data safety on machines with relatively limited memory.
graid(8) for software BIOS RAID.
ZFS for mirrors or more typical RAID arrays on machines with 4G of
memory or more.

> Actually, in practical terms, I don't see why ZFS is better than pairs
> (or threes) of gmirrored drives mounted on to one file system in the
> traditional way. Perhaps I just don't get it, or perhaps I'm just too
> traditional to give up on the idea that it's good to know which drive
> a particular file is on.

It's RAID, so you get more space than mirrors, and possibly better
performance for some things.  ZFS RAID-Z1 (and -Z2, -Z3) have a lower
vacuum coefficient than RAID-5.  There are lots of nifty features, like
being able to add storage without reformatting.

There are other options, but I suspect the three above cover most of the
needs and are what we should be suggesting to new users in the Handbook.