broken instructions for buildkernel

Remko Lodder remko at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jun 21 21:38:57 UTC 2013

On Jun 20, 2013, at 9:26 PM, Tony Hain <tony at hain-global-consulting.com> wrote:

> Thanks Adam.
>
> I had been on the page you sent for the 9.0 to 9.1 upgrade of this machine.
> My intent was not to upgrade the machine to 10.0, at this point it was just
> to build the kernel for a new VM. Granted I am not the most engrained in
> FreeBSD procedures, but to me that leads to the "building a kernel" page.
>

> While buildworld may not be a declared prereq, something in that process
> "fixes" a missing definition. No matter which distro of 10.0 I tried to
> build it would always exit on a missing prototype for yyparse, but after
> buildworld it just ran to completion. That sounds like a prereq to me...
> Even if it is not, a hint on one or both of the pages that reference
> building a kernel, about yyparse failures being fixed by buildworld would
> save people frustration and time. If I was the first to stumble over this, I
> wouldn't have been able to find discussion about it on the web, and still
> wouldn't know how to fix it.

If you read the documentation link that Adam send you specifically on this page:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/makeworld.html

it is demonstrated and advised why things happen:

	• make buildworld

This first compiles the new compiler and a few related tools, then uses the new compiler to compile the rest of the new world. The result ends up in /usr/obj.

	• make buildkernel

This uses the new compiler residing in /usr/obj in order to protect against compiler-kernel mismatches.

if you upgrade from x to y (9 to 10 in this case) you must be sure that the toolchain and buildtools are up to date, thus you need to make buildworld even though
you do not plan on using it (note that you might get different results then you might expect, world and kernel needs to be aligned up as possible to ensure
that they understand eachother).

There is no need to adjust the documentation for the specific yyparse step, in the tuture there will be other things that break if people do not follow the rules
described.

Thanks
Remko

/"\   With kind regards,			| remko at elvandar.org
\ /   Remko Lodder			| remko at FreeBSD.org
X    FreeBSD					| http://www.evilcoder.org
/ \   The Power to Serve		| Quis custodiet ipsos custodes