broken instructions for buildkernel

Tony Hain tony at hain-global-consulting.com
Thu Jun 20 19:26:58 UTC 2013

Thanks Adam.

I had been on the page you sent for the 9.0 to 9.1 upgrade of this machine.
My intent was not to upgrade the machine to 10.0, at this point it was just
to build the kernel for a new VM. Granted I am not the most engrained in
FreeBSD procedures, but to me that leads to the "building a kernel" page.

While buildworld may not be a declared prereq, something in that process
"fixes" a missing definition. No matter which distro of 10.0 I tried to
build it would always exit on a missing prototype for yyparse, but after
buildworld it just ran to completion. That sounds like a prereq to me...
Even if it is not, a hint on one or both of the pages that reference
building a kernel, about yyparse failures being fixed by buildworld would
save people frustration and time. If I was the first to stumble over this, I
wouldn't have been able to find discussion about it on the web, and still
wouldn't know how to fix it.

Tony