print edition

Gabor Kovesdan gabor at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jun 5 15:16:51 UTC 2013

Em 05-06-2013 14:34, Hiroki Sato escreveu:
> Gabor Kovesdan<gabor at freebsd.org>  wrote
>    in<51AB6D32.1060906 at FreeBSD.org>:
>
> ga> Em 02-06-2013 17:03, Warren Block escreveu:
> ga> > That means "include elements marked with edition="print" and all
> ga> > unprofiled elements"?
> ga> Yes. In other words: exclude elements, whose edition is not print.
> ga> >
> ga> > For a print version, it might be easier to just go the opposite way:
> ga> > leave everything unprofiled as defaulting to print, and marking
> ga> > online-only sections as "online".
> ga> In the print branch it is possible to just mark online parts but if we
> ga> want to work with single source we need both ways since there are some
> ga> parts that are print-only. But I guess that the most of the Handbook
> ga> may be unprofiled. Maybe we are late for going to a totally single
> ga> source solution now but imho, we should do it the next time.
>
>   I agree that preface and the pgpkey section can be different between
>   the online and print version, but are there other parts like them?
Probably few. Maybe the formatting conventions since I suspect they may
be different in the print edition.
>   DocBook profiling will make the source complex, so we should try to
>   minimize the differences between the online and print version, and
>   separate the differences into different files wherever possible.  The
>   profiling is like #ifdef in a C program.  It is useful for small
>   parts, but using it too much just makes things complicated.
I believe the online/print markup will be limited and applied to
upper-level elements like sect1 and won't normally escalated down to
finer-grained markup. The separation in files is a good idea.

As for the version-specific markup, it would affect more parts but this
is something that we have talked about for a long time. It wouldn't be
just a support for the print edition but a desired feature.

Gabor