print edition

Hiroki Sato hrs at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jun 5 12:35:36 UTC 2013

Gabor Kovesdan <gabor at freebsd.org> wrote
  in <51AB6D32.1060906 at FreeBSD.org>:

ga> Em 02-06-2013 17:03, Warren Block escreveu:
ga> > That means "include elements marked with edition="print" and all
ga> > unprofiled elements"?
ga> Yes. In other words: exclude elements, whose edition is not print.
ga> >
ga> > For a print version, it might be easier to just go the opposite way:
ga> > leave everything unprofiled as defaulting to print, and marking
ga> > online-only sections as "online".
ga> In the print branch it is possible to just mark online parts but if we
ga> want to work with single source we need both ways since there are some
ga> parts that are print-only. But I guess that the most of the Handbook
ga> may be unprofiled. Maybe we are late for going to a totally single
ga> source solution now but imho, we should do it the next time.

 I agree that preface and the pgpkey section can be different between
 the online and print version, but are there other parts like them?

 DocBook profiling will make the source complex, so we should try to
 minimize the differences between the online and print version, and
 separate the differences into different files wherever possible.  The
 profiling is like #ifdef in a C program.  It is useful for small
 parts, but using it too much just makes things complicated.

-- Hiroki