freebsd-update and ports

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Mon Jan 21 23:27:06 UTC 2013

On Wed, 16 Jan 2013, Bas Smeelen wrote:

> On 01/16/2013 04:56 AM, Warren Block wrote:
>> A rendered sample of the proposed changes to the freebsd-update section:
>> http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/temp/fupd-ports2.html
>>
>> The diff:
>> http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/temp/fupd-ports2.diff
>
> Looks good..
> Note that in section 25.2.3.1.2 Custom Kernels with FreeBSD 9.X and Later the
> current custom kernel in /boot/kernel gets overwritten.
> It might be better to change this so the GENERIC kernel is installed in
> /boot/GENERIC
>
> I.e. instead of
>
> tar -C/ -xvf kernel.txz boot/kernel/kernel
>
> tar -C/ -xvf kernel.txz boot/GENERIC
>
> and instead of
>
> make kernel
>
> make buildkernel
> make installkernel DESTDIR=/boot/GENERIC
>
> or as in the 8.X section
> env DESTDIR=/boot/GENERIC make kernel

But isn't that required?  As I understand it, this whole procedure is to
fool freebsd-update into thinking that a GENERIC kernel is being used.
In 9.X, it will look for that kernel in the normal installed location,
/boot/kernel.  And of course the user will have to rebuild their custom
kernel after the update anyway.