freebsd-update and ports

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Wed Jan 16 14:31:59 UTC 2013

On Wed, 16 Jan 2013, Bas Smeelen wrote:

> On 01/16/2013 04:56 AM, Warren Block wrote:
>> A rendered sample of the proposed changes to the freebsd-update section:
>> http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/temp/fupd-ports2.html
>>
>> The diff:
>> http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/temp/fupd-ports2.diff
>
> Looks good..
> Note that in section 25.2.3.1.2 Custom Kernels with FreeBSD 9.X and Later the
> current custom kernel in /boot/kernel gets overwritten.
> It might be better to change this so the GENERIC kernel is installed in
> /boot/GENERIC

It depends on where freebsd-update is looking for it.  Based on the 8.x
instructions, I had the feeling it would expect the generic to be
installed.  Or rather that it would expect the current installed kernel
to be GENERIC.  (Actually, this whole process seems roundabout.  Rather
than helping the user trick freebsd-update into seeing a generic kernel,
why doesn't freebsd-update just have an option to ignore the kernel
version or checksum?)

> I.e. instead of
>
> tar -C/ -xvf kernel.txz boot/kernel/kernel
>
> tar -C/ -xvf kernel.txz boot/GENERIC

It also was not clear to me whether the entire /boot/kernel directory
should be copied.