"queueing"

Erich Dollansky erichfreebsdlist at ovitrap.com
Sat Oct 27 00:26:16 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 17:09:42 -0400 (EDT)
Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk at MIT.EDU> wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Oct 2012, Warren Block wrote:
>
> > Dictionaries do not accept "queueing" as an acceptable spelling of
> > the word,
>
> Really?  I see it listed in Dictionary.app on OS X and oed.com.

they are wrong.

From

http://www.goodenglish.org.sg/improve/english-as-it-is-broken/%E2%80%98queueing-vs-%E2%80%98queuing%E2%80%99

'There aren’t two different spellings for the word. It should be spelt
‘queuing’. It is common to leave the last ‘e’ out when making present
continuous tense forms, meaning words ending with ‘-ing’. E.g. ‘make’,
‘take’, and ‘joke’.'

Erich