FDP and compound words

Marc Fonvieille blackend at freebsd.org
Sun Jul 29 09:01:16 UTC 2012

On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 10:45:05AM -0600, Warren Block wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Jul 2012, Marc Fonvieille wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 06:00:01PM -0600, Warren Block wrote:
> >>
> >> I propose changing the FDP recommendations for the two-word versions
> >> above to the single-word versions.
> >>
> >> Statistics from SGML files in /usr/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1:
> >>
> >>      628 "file system", 513 "filesystem"
> >>       28 "disk label",   65 "disklabel"
> >>       50 "mail server",   3 "mailserver"
> >>       56 "name server",  21 "nameserver"
> >>       74 "web server",   13 "webserver"
> >>

> > You forgot to add manual pages, which should change the results for the
> > first two versions.
>
> For /usr/share/man:
>    2828 "file system", 368 "filesystem"
>      34 "disk label",   64 "disklabel"
>       2 "mail server",   0 "mailserver"
>     239 "name server",  49 "nameserver"
>      12 "web server",    2 "webserver"
>
> Combined totals:
>
> file system:  3456   filesystem: 881
> disk label:     62   disklabel:  129
> mail server:    52   mailserver:   3
> name server:   295   nameserver:  70
> web server:     86   webserver:   15

Ok, the results are interesting but to be totally useful these results
should be dated, I mean some results may be different according to the
number of revisions of a file, the date of the changes and the author.
It's quite impossible to check that.

> > This was discussed in past (long time ago) on this list and we ended (if
> > my memories are Ok) with what is currently on our wordlist.
>
> That was brought up on IRC, so I did some searching for references and
> precedents:
>
> 2004 freebsd-doc thread
> http://markmail.org/message/ycaghgqrfa7roi4n#query:+page:1+mid:dmwddt3vhii6qu4h+state:results

I did not check the thread and the archives but I think (again, it's my
memories, not so reliable) we discussed it before 2004.

> Marshal Kirk McKusik's Usenix 2003: "Enhancements to the Fast Filesystem"
> http://www.usenix.org/events/bsdcon03/tech/full_papers/mckusick/mckusick.pdf
>
> 2002 PR adding "file system" to the word list

It's from 2002, so it seems to confirm what I said above.

> The O'Reilly word list uses "filesystem"
> http://oreilly.com/oreilly/author/stylesheet.html

Well till now, my comments do not help.  I just think that we have some
FreeBSD specific wordings/habits/etc., we should change them only if we
have a "very good" reason.  Now the problem is to define a "very good"
reason :)

Regarding "disk label/disklabel" I think the use of "disk label" was to
avoid confusion with the disklabel(8) command.

--
Marc