FDP and compound words

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Sat Jul 28 16:45:12 UTC 2012

On Sat, 28 Jul 2012, Marc Fonvieille wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 06:00:01PM -0600, Warren Block wrote:
>>
>> I propose changing the FDP recommendations for the two-word versions
>> above to the single-word versions.
>>
>> Statistics from SGML files in /usr/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1:
>>
>>      628 "file system", 513 "filesystem"
>>       28 "disk label",   65 "disklabel"
>>       50 "mail server",   3 "mailserver"
>>       56 "name server",  21 "nameserver"
>>       74 "web server",   13 "webserver"
>>

> You forgot to add manual pages, which should change the results for the
> first two versions.

For /usr/share/man:
   2828 "file system", 368 "filesystem"
     34 "disk label",   64 "disklabel"
      2 "mail server",   0 "mailserver"
    239 "name server",  49 "nameserver"
     12 "web server",    2 "webserver"

Combined totals:

file system:  3456   filesystem: 881
disk label:     62   disklabel:  129
mail server:    52   mailserver:   3
name server:   295   nameserver:  70
web server:     86   webserver:   15

> This was discussed in past (long time ago) on this list and we ended (if
> my memories are Ok) with what is currently on our wordlist.

That was brought up on IRC, so I did some searching for references and
precedents:

2004 freebsd-doc thread
http://markmail.org/message/ycaghgqrfa7roi4n#query:+page:1+mid:dmwddt3vhii6qu4h+state:results

Marshal Kirk McKusik's Usenix 2003: "Enhancements to the Fast Filesystem"
http://www.usenix.org/events/bsdcon03/tech/full_papers/mckusick/mckusick.pdf

2002 PR adding "file system" to the word list

The O'Reilly word list uses "filesystem"
http://oreilly.com/oreilly/author/stylesheet.html