Need advice to help me fix build process of translated documentation

Glen Barber gjb at FreeBSD.org
Wed Apr 25 13:17:44 UTC 2012

Hi,

Sorry for the late-ish reply:

On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 02:08:20PM -0300, Edson Brandi wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm working to finish translation of FDP Primer to pt_BR.ISO8859-1 , translation of this book started some years ago, but it never get completed until now :(
>
> In last week i synchronized previous translated text with all changes that version of en_US.ISO8859-1 received in last years, and at this moment i'm working with review of spelling, i expect to have this stage finished in 1 week.
>
> But before i can send it to project using send-pr , i need some help to deal with 3 "issues" that i found and that i'm not able to find a fix myself.
>
> #### Issue 1 ####
> - When i use "make lint" i don't receive any error , and all html files are builded normally when i run "make install" (http://server04.ebrandi.eti.br/pt_BR/books/fdp-primer/) , but i receive a "Error code 1" from tidy, is this normal? My build output:

[...]

> /usr/local/bin/tidy -wrap 90 -m -raw -preserve -f /dev/null -asxml  $(/usr/bin/xargs < HTML.manifest)
> *** Error code 1 (ignored)
> install -C  -o root -g wheel -m 444 $(/usr/bin/xargs < HTML.manifest) /usr/share/doc/pt_BR.ISO8859-1/books/fdp-primer

[...]

These errors can be safely ignored.

> #### Issue 2 ####
> - For some strange reason sgml markup <quote>…</quote> aren't getting translated into "…" , i'm not able to find what i need do to fix this. Any advice about what i`m doing wrong?
> Example of this behavior:  http://server04.ebrandi.eti.br/pt_BR/books/fdp-primer/writing-style.html , name o Jordan K. Hubbard was supposed to be between quotes, sgml file are marked correctly.
>
> #### Issue 3 ####
> - I'm also having troubles with sgml markup <warning>…</warning> , this was supposed to be translated into a red box where paragraphs start with "Atenção:" , for some reason my html files are missing a ":" (colon).
> Example of this behavior: http://server04.ebrandi.eti.br/pt_BR/books/fdp-primer/preface-notes.html

I'm not sure why these problems exist, but as far as I can tell, you are
not doing anything incorrectly.  It seems to me that the pt_BR build
files may be missing an update somewhere, but so far, I haven't been
able to identify what.

I will look into this more over this weekend.

Glen