Conversion to SVN

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk at MIT.EDU
Mon Oct 10 04:07:25 UTC 2011

On Sun, 9 Oct 2011, Doug Barton wrote:

> On 10/09/2011 04:59, Gavin Atkinson wrote:

>>> I'm sorry, I don't understand your concern here. The commit ids
>>> increment monotonically in svn, and the number is global to the whole
>>> repo. Given that the individual files won't be increasing to a
>>> deterministic value, I don't understand why we care what the actual
>>> number is.
>>
>> I don't like the idea that r226166 can be a change from 10 minutes ago,
>> and r226167 would be a change from 1994.
>
> Well that couldn't happen because the numbers increase monotonically
> over the whole repo, but even assuming that you meant the reverse I
> still don't understand why you care what the number is.
>
> Let's assume that we start a new repo for doc. What's going to happen is
> that the cvs -> svn converter will take the first set of files added to
> the repo and they will be revision 1. Then the next set will be revision
> 2, etc. What's incredibly likely to happen is that for any given file
> your new change is going to be revision NNN and the immediately-previous
> change is going to be revision XXX, where the values could be just about
> anything, say NNN=659 and XXX=237. So what does it matter if the numbers
> are 2 or 3 or 4 digit "random" numbers, or if the numbers are 6 digits?

head/ (for src) is currently r226182 or thereabouts ... if we import
doc+www on top of that, that would mean either replaying all of the
doc+www history on top of that (so that r226183 is now that doc commit
from 1994), or renumbering src revisions.  The latter seems almost
unbearably painful, to me ...

-Ben Kaduk