Conversion to SVN

Glen Barber gjb at FreeBSD.org
Fri Oct 7 15:33:55 UTC 2011

Hi,

On 10/7/11 10:13 AM, Ulrich Spörlein wrote:
> What I, personally, would like to see is us using the same svn repo as
> src. That means we would have to stop svn.freebsd.org for the
> conversion, turn off email sending, dump 50k revisions into it (under
> /doc and /www perhaps? where should branches/tags end up?), then turn
> everything back on.

The following is something that I have been kicking around in my head
for quite some time, but haven't found the right time to bring it up:

What I would like to see "someday" is a development workflow that more
closely matches src.

What do I mean by that?

I think it would be beneficial to provide a "versioned" FreeBSD
Handbook.  The PostgreSQL documentation folks do this [1] - you can find
documentation that was specific to a particular release, so you can
determine if something you have found in the docs appropriately matches
the version you are running. [2]

A bigger reason I think this would be a good thing is actually a rather
obvious one:  those of us (doc folks) tracking -CURRENT can document
things as they happen.  More specifically, we would not have to wait
until we are nearing a release to begin updating documentation that is
relevant to that release.  This way, doc/www HEAD (well, not necessarily
www for this case...) would be as up-to-date as possible with -CURRENT,
which I believe will benefit all of us (especially our users) when
release time is near.

I have not yet put much more thought into the layout.  As I said, I was
waiting for the "right time" to bring this up and ask for opinions,
feedback, etc.  Since the topic of moving to subversion has been brought
up, now seems to be as good a time as any, since this would probably be
easier to juggle with subversion.

[1] - http://www.postgresql.org/docs/
[2] - For the record, yes, I am volunteering to do the work that would
be required to make this happen, too.

Just my $0.02.  :-)

--
Glen Barber | gjb at FreeBSD.org