handbook/network-servers: a note about ntpdate might be added

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk at MIT.EDU
Sun Nov 13 02:43:09 UTC 2011

On Sat, 12 Nov 2011, Manolis Kiagias wrote:

> On 12/11/2011 12:19 πμ, Taras Korenko wrote:
>>    Hi, folks.
>>    According to [1], the ntpdate utility is to be retired from&os;.  This
>> info
>> might also be reflected as a note in '30.10.3.1 Basic Configuration' of
>> [2].
>>    I hope that the position of insertion is correct, but my wording
>> definitely
>> requires a lot of polishing :-/
>>
>>    handbook/network-servers/chapter.sgml,v 1.138

>>    5306	<sect3>
>>    5307		<title>Basic Configuration</title>
>>    5309
>>                  <note>
>>                    <para>The following information about&man.ntpdate.8; is
>> still
>>                      applicable, but keep in mind that the ntpdate utility
>> is to
>>                      be retired soon from&os;.</para>
>>                  </note>
>>
>>    5310		<para>If you only wish to synchronize your clock when
>> the
>>    5311		  machine boots up, you can use&man.ntpdate.8;.  This
>> may be
>>    5328	</sect3>
>>    5329

>> 1. http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=ntpdate
>> 2.
>> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-ntp.html
>>

> The Handbook only refers to ntpdate for the one-off setting of the clock
> during boot. In fact ntpd supports also this kind of setting using the
> following in rc.conf:
>
> ntpd_sync_on_start="YES"
>
> I think we should include this info and either remove the info on ntpdate or
> clearly mark it as a secondary and deprecated option. Ideas?

We should definitely cover the ntpd functionality.
I would just as soon not mention ntpdate as well, other than something
like "this functionality used to be provided by an ntpdate(8) utility".

-Ben Kaduk