Broken links

Johann Kois jkois at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jan 21 21:03:08 UTC 2010

Hello,

first thanks for your input.

On 01/21/10 17:25, John wrote:
> The "Getting FreeBSD" page, http://www.freebsd.org/where.html, which
> is pretty prominent, has broken links, such as the Hardware Notes
> for FreeBSD 7.2-RLEASE i386
> http://www.freebsd.org/releases/7.2R/hardware-i386.html
>
> I think that's one that people are going to want.

I will work on this one.  The 7.2 section has not been updated yet. I
will take care of this.  The reason for the broken links is described below.

> While I'm pestering you - why is the 8.2 section so sparse?  Just
> a case of not being done yet, or are there documents that need to
> be linked in here?

It's not "sparse".  The reason that we have only 1 link there is that
the "Hardware notes section" has been reorganized some time ago (with
7.0, if I remember correctly).  Now we use a common hardware document
and link to the different architectures from there.

On this common page there is a list of supported devices together with
the architectures.  For example "[i386,amd64] The snd_ad1816(4) driver
..." means it is supported under i386 and amd64.

> In fact, I'm having trouble finding hardware lists on the site at all
> right now, except by searching Hardware, which did lead me to:
> http://www.freebsd.org/releases/7.2R/hardware.html which works, but
> is not platform-specific.  Oh, actually, it just refers me to
> "the Hardware Notes supplied with each release" which is what I was
> trying to get to in the first place, so this is a dead-end, too...

See above.  The reason for the broken links is the reorganization of the
hardware notes.  I will fix this.  Then it will be the same as for 8.0.

> When I go to the release notes, such as
> http://www.freebsd.org/releases/8.0R/relnotes.html
> or
> http://www.freebsd.org/releases/7.2R/relnotes.html
> the word "hardware" is not even on the page.

Correct.  Because you are reading the release notes then, not the
hardware notes.  And both release notes and hardware notes are available
from the "Getting FreeBSD" page as soon as I have fixed the links there.

> By going to Supported Platforms, and then the FreeBSD/i386 project
> (http://www.freebsd.org/platforms/i386.html),
> I finally find a link that says "Hardware List", but it is
> self-referential(http://www.freebsd.org/platforms/i386.html#hw)
> with the "hw" tag being trivially identifed with the following header.

Well, this is on thing which should probably be removed completely.

> Finally, by following a link that specifically talks about "Supproted CPUS"
> I get to http://www.freebsd.org/releases/8.0R/hardware.html#PROC-I386
> but I don't think it should be this hard.

Well, in reality it is not that hard at all ...

- - Open http://www.FreeBSD.org in your web browser
- - Click on the "Get FreeBSD Now" button.
- - Scroll down to the "Download FreeBSD" section (if necessary)
- - Click on the link "Hardware Notes - View" for FreeBSD 8.0

jkois

- --
 Johann Kois
 jkois(at)FreeBSD.org