typo in manual first paragraph

Jason Helfman jhelfman at e-e.com
Fri Dec 3 17:54:32 UTC 2010

On Thu, Dec 02, 2010 at 08:41:35PM -0700, Warren Block thus spake:
>On Thu, 2 Dec 2010, John Baldwin wrote:

>>> I'm not a native speaker, but "take on board" in this context
>>> stands for me as "understand, take in mind, accept smth.".
>>
>> I agree, but given that it is a bit idiomatic and confusing, it might be best
>> to reword the sentence.  I would say s/take on board/tackle/, but I'm not
>> sure 'tackle' is any less confusing.  I do find the current wording a bit
>> awkard, but 'take on board' is a bit 'stronger' than simply 'understand' as
>> it implies that the task requires some work (e.g. taking on a new task at a
>> job).  Maybe 'embrace' would work.
>
>The original is confusing because "take on" and "on board" conflict.

Insert humble opinion:

I've brought this up on #bsdports, but I will relay it here. I would say
"take on" vs. "take on board" isn't an issue of  conflict. However,
"take on board" adds no additional clarity to the phrase "take on".
This is how I would re-word it:

"Working through this section requires little more than a desire to explore,
and ability to take on new concepts as they are introduced."

>"Accept" isn't a terrible replacement.

Jason Helfman
System Administrator
experts-exchange.com