docs/135983: "The Z File System" - title is misleading and causes search issue

Tom Rhodes trhodes at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jun 25 02:50:59 UTC 2009

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 08:20:04 GMT
Dan Naumov <dan.naumov at gmail.com> wrote:

> The following reply was made to PR docs/135983; it has been noted by GNATS.
>
> From: Dan Naumov <dan.naumov at gmail.com>
> To: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org, dan.naumov at gmail.com
> Subject: Re: docs/135983: "The Z File System" - title is misleading and causes
> 	search issue
> Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 11:14:12 +0300
>
>  Hopefully you didn't take an offense to my initial PR, the Handbook
>  guide was what actually had me started on getting into ZFS with
>  FreeBSD :)

Not really - just wanted to note why I used that title.  ;)

>  Either way, I had some other changes in mind as well, for example the
>  RAID-Z example uses a pool made of 2 disks. While it will obviously
>  work, all SUN documentation indicates that the suggested amount of
>  vdevs for a RAIDZ or RAIDZ2 pool is between 3 and 9 devices and that
>  bigger pools should be broken up to be made of smaller groups of vdevs
>  (for example 2 x 7disk RAIDZ for a single pool 14 disk setup).. Using
>  RAIDZ with just 2 disks will result in slower performance than simply
>  using a ZFS mirror and using more than 9 disks is likely to cause
>  problems with parity computations (I have already heard stories of
>  people running into Bad Things (tm) while using a 24-disk RAIDZ-2 and
>  a 14-disk RAIDZ configurations during resilvering and scrubs). Things
>  like this definitely deserve a mention.
>
>  If you don't have much time, I could see if I could find a few moments
>  over the next week or 2 to make a few changes. What's the proposed
>  format of change submissions? Are edited files ok or does one need to
>  submit patches and if it's the latter, whats the syntax for making
>  properly suited diffs?

Well, I like `diff -ru`  :)

This URL:

http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/

Has a great deal of information related to working up patches
for the documentation set.  Just in case you want to do more
than just the ZFS chapter.  :)

Thanks,

--
Tom Rhodes