docs/135983: "The Z File System" - title is misleading and causes search issue

Dan Naumov dan.naumov at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 08:20:05 UTC 2009

The following reply was made to PR docs/135983; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Dan Naumov <dan.naumov at gmail.com>
To: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org, dan.naumov at gmail.com
Subject: Re: docs/135983: "The Z File System" - title is misleading and causes
	search issue
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 11:14:12 +0300

 Hopefully you didn't take an offense to my initial PR, the Handbook
 guide was what actually had me started on getting into ZFS with
 FreeBSD :)

 Either way, I had some other changes in mind as well, for example the
 RAID-Z example uses a pool made of 2 disks. While it will obviously
 work, all SUN documentation indicates that the suggested amount of
 vdevs for a RAIDZ or RAIDZ2 pool is between 3 and 9 devices and that
 bigger pools should be broken up to be made of smaller groups of vdevs
 (for example 2 x 7disk RAIDZ for a single pool 14 disk setup).. Using
 RAIDZ with just 2 disks will result in slower performance than simply
 using a ZFS mirror and using more than 9 disks is likely to cause
 problems with parity computations (I have already heard stories of
 people running into Bad Things (tm) while using a 24-disk RAIDZ-2 and
 a 14-disk RAIDZ configurations during resilvering and scrubs). Things
 like this definitely deserve a mention.

 If you don't have much time, I could see if I could find a few moments
 over the next week or 2 to make a few changes. What's the proposed
 format of change submissions? Are edited files ok or does one need to
 submit patches and if it's the latter, whats the syntax for making
 properly suited diffs?

 - Sincerely,
 Dan Naumov