Handbook Partition size recommendation

Marc Fonvieille blackend at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jan 6 21:56:43 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jan 06, 2009 at 01:39:28PM +0000, Christopher G D Tipper wrote:
> Hi,
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install-steps.html

Hello,

> At the moment you are recommending a 512MB partition for root ('/'). I
> have found this to be inadequate and I don't know how to resize
> partitions. If you recompile the kernel, backup GENERIC etc. you will
> quickly run out of space I have found. I think the figure should be
> changed to 1GB.

Just under these recommendations, a red warning says:

"Warning: The values above are given as example and should be used by
experienced users only. Users are encouraged to use the automatic
partition layout called Auto Defaults by the FreeBSD partition editor."

Even if the text would say 1GB, some will find it too limited according
to their usage.

> Also you have no recommendation on 'home'. This seems to be an
> oversight, as it makes the recommended size for root even more inadequate.

/home is actually, by default, under /usr so it should not depend on /
size (I'm not sure to understand your remark)
Regarding the /home size, how can we guess the size of the user data?

--
Marc