Apparently broken link on the FreeBSD FAQ

Manolis Kiagias sonic2000gr at gmail.com
Thu Dec 31 19:24:13 UTC 2009

On 31/12/2009 8:55 μ.μ., Jason wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 07:39:09PM +0200, Manolis Kiagias thus spake:
>> On 31/12/2009 3:51 ??.??., Brie :: unixsysadmin.org wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I was reviewing the FreeBSD FAQ and noticed that the link to 'The BSD
>>> Family Tree' in question 1.6 is broken.
>>>

>>> (There is a Joomla! install at:
>>> http://dhogan.people.si.umich.edu/joomla/
>>> but no BSD Family Tree in sight.)
>>>
>>> There does appear to be a copy here:
>>>
>>> http://www.levenez.com/unix/unix_a4.pdf
>>>

>>> However, I'm not sure if this is what was linked to at the site in
>>> the FAQ.
>>>
>>> My apologies if this is the wrong list...
>>>

>> First off, this is the right list and thanks for submitting this!
>> It is the second time this linked article disappears - AFAIR there was a
>> nice article explaining the BSD family and not just the diagram you
>> found (which is quite good BTW). I haven't been able to locate it
>> somewhere else so far - I'll change the link when I find it.
>>
>> Thanks!
>
> If I may, it seems a good link would be to the handbook, itself.
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/bibliography-history.html
>

> In this link you are pointed to /usr/share/misc/bsd-family-tree, and
> in this
> file is a link that goes to a unix history page that is:
> UNIX history
>
> At the very top, you click on the image, and that leads you to the pdf
> noted
> earlier by the poster.
>
> -jgh

Yes, but the original 'BSD Family Tree' mentioned in the FAQ is in fact
an article, not a diagram.
I found a txt version (seems the only one left) which I converted to a
quick html, uploaded to freebsdworld.gr[1] and updated the link. It will
appear in the FAQ in the next few hours.

Thanks!

[1] http://www.freebsdworld.gr/freebsd/bsd-family-tree.html